Monday, November 1, 2010

WORD[S]

WORD[S]
{a chosen word or phrase of the week to focus on and implement into each day} 


*photo from my sketchpad. notice the markings showing from the previous pages.
I get a little carried away and almost always break crayons when I use them. 


In the summer issue of The Old Schoolhouse magazine (yes, I have officially added homeschool magazines to my accumulating pile), there was an excellent article by Karen Andreola on the Charlotte Mason style of education. I am quite familiar with this style and ever learning more about it through my friend, Richele, who has been beautifully home educating her amazingly creative children for the past several years (including from birth!). And upon reading this article titled, Educating by Faith, NOT FEAR, I was impressed with the specific word ATMOSPHERE that Charlotte Mason used herself in one of her volumes. And from this, knowing I wanted to focus on this aspect, I decided to pick that word for this week. From that came the idea to add the chosen word or phrase (hence, the added [S]) to our school blog.  Something that I want to keep in the forefront of our minds, to be adding to our bushel of character and home. It's so easy to let life slide by day in and day out. This is a step in the direction called intentionality. 

Here is the paragraph that I particularly love from the article:

"Fear also motivates the home teacher. She worries. She worries that her children aren't learning enough- or fast enough. Anxiety hangs in the air. It is natural to want children to learn. But love and faith must be stronger than our fears. Without faith it is impossible to create a peaceful, pleasant, intellectual atmosphere."

3 comments:

  1. yay. I love your doodle and your word choice and the quote and your blog and...

    :)

    amy in peru

    ReplyDelete
  2. "amy in peru"::: WOW. Thanks for coming over!!! The first time I was on your blog...I think I stayed for at least 45 minutes!!! Your pictures are AMAZING and I wish I had found your blog when we were studying Peru while going through Granny Went To Market last year!!! Nonetheless, thanks for stopping by!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word!

    We always enjoy the atmosphere in your home - it's like breathing p.u.r.e oxygen! Funny how it bounces back and forth from calming to energizing.

    Fear does like to try and elbow it's way in around here. I'm getting better at recognizing it.

    ReplyDelete